Monday, October 10, 2011

Grateful Mondays: My Grandpa

Every week I thought stating what I am grateful for would be a wonderful way to start the week. This week I have decided to start by talking about a man who has been on my mind a lot the last few weeks; My grandpa.

My grandpa is 93 years old and an incredible man. He was born in Clarno, Oregon (which is near John Day & on the John Day river). He was a rancher till his kidneys started to fail him. I know some of his history because my sister helped type up his autobiography on his life on the ranch. I grown up hearing about the ranch (which was bought by BLM many years ago). It has always made me long to ranch myself.

{My Grandpa & Great-Grandson on his 93rd birthday}

My grandpa is rather feisty even at his old age. He and I always bump each other and lightly punch each other on the arm.

He is very loving and I have learned so many invaluable lessons about relationships and the true nature of love by watching how he and my grandma interact and the care/love he shows through deeds to her. My grandparents aren't big on saying "I love you" but I have never questioned whether they loved me or each other. Their every action is done in love.

My grandpa amazes me. He has had diabetes for 40+ years and still till this last year been kicking around quite a bit. My grandparents live with my parents (partly due to the fact my grandma is almost completely blind). The first thing my grandpa wanted was a shop so he could go and make things. He is a Carpenter by trade. He has made us a number of things through the years. Including a jewelry box which I hold dear.


{My Grandparents at my Grandpa's birthday party}

I am grateful for the many lessons he has taught me and the example of his marriage is in my own. Whenever Wes and I speak of growing old we always picture my grandparents. My grandpa has been on my mind because I probably will never see him alive again. He had a massive heart-attack about 2 weeks ago and it has been touch and go since. I love him dearly and am grateful of the promise of being with him again after this life. My grandpa has 3 children (one passed on a couple years ago),11+ grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren.

{My Grandpa, Grandma, Sister, & Nephew}

No comments:

Post a Comment